Article Date:
September 2009

Word Count:



How to Write Off the Investment in a Failed S Corporation

Two years ago, I formed an S corporation. Now I’m done with this business, and I want to write off my $45,000 initial investment. My friend told me that I might do better than just deducting a long-term capital loss. Can you help me do better? (L.M., Long Island, N.Y.)


Yes, you probably can write off your initial investment in S corporation stock as an ordinary loss, using the Section 1244 small-business stock rules.1


If some of your initial investment was as ... Log in to view full article.

Log in to view full article

Already a subscriber?

Email Address


Log In Send me my password

You'll be able to read the full article and get instant access to the last few issues of the Tax Reduction Letter

Not yet a subscriber?
with a money-back guarantee