Article Date:
August 2017

Word Count:



Heavy Vehicle + Deductible Home Office = Major Tax Savings

As a small-business owner, you can set yourself up for some generous tax breaks by knowing a few vehicle and home-office deduction rules.


And if you operate as other than a C corporation, you will realize the tax breaks on your personal tax return. If you operate as a C corporation, the C corporation gets the tax breaks on the corporate tax return (still, as the owner, that’s very good for you).


If you claim your business income and deductions on Schedule C of Form 1040, the tax breaks in this article will appear on your Schedule C. If you operate as an S corporation or partnership, the tax breaks will flow through to you from the K-1.


What exactly are these tax breaks? How do you go about realizing them?



You need a qualifying heavy vehicle on which you can claim Section 179 expensing (depreciation in advance).


If you would like bonus depreciation, you need a new (not used) vehicle.


If your percentage of business miles is low, you need a certain type of office in your home. The home office can create deductions where none existed before. ... Log in to view full article.

Log in to view full article

Already a subscriber?

Email Address


Log In Send me my password

You'll be able to read the full article and get instant access to the last few issues of the Tax Reduction Letter

Not yet a subscriber?
with a money-back guarantee