Article Date:
September 2019

Word Count:



Q&A: Do I Get a 199A Deduction Working Abroad?



I’m a United States citizen in Norway working as a virtual consultant. All my clients are in the United States. I’m married to a Norwegian citizen, and he’s neither a U.S. citizen nor resident.


I make about $80,000 net each year on my Schedule C.


Can I take the new 20 percent pass-through deduction on my Schedule C business income? And do you have anything else I can do to lower my United States income tax?


I moved to Norway in July 2018, and this is my first time filing tax returns as an expat. I extended my return, so I have until October 15 to file. ... Log in to view full article.

Log in to view full article

Already a subscriber?

Email Address


Log In Send me my password

You'll be able to read the full article and get instant access to the last few issues of the Tax Reduction Letter

Not yet a subscriber?
with a money-back guarantee