Article Date:
September 2017

Word Count:



Avoid Partnership Tax Filing with Two Little-Known Elections

If you own an unincorporated business or another activity with anyone besides yourself, you likely have a partnership for federal tax purposes.


This requires you to prepare and file a partnership tax return, and then issue Schedule K-1s to the partners so they can report the partnership’s taxable items on their separate tax returns.


In some cases, you can avoid multiple tax filings and elect out of partnership treatment for federal tax purposes, and simply put the activity directly on your individual tax return!


In this article, we explain when these elections are available, their effect on you, and when it is a good (or bad) idea to make such an election. ... Log in to view full article.

Log in to view full article

Already a subscriber?

Email Address


Log In Send me my password

You'll be able to read the full article and get instant access to the last few issues of the Tax Reduction Letter

Not yet a subscriber?
with a money-back guarantee