Search Help

Enter one of more keywords to search. Use quotes for “exact phrase.” Note that '*' and '?' wildcards are supported.

When your search results appear, you can refine your search further: Sort for only results in which all search terms appear AND/OR sort by chronological order.

Article Date:
January 2008

Word Count:



Tax Guide to Gambling Income and Losses

If you gamble, you need to know that lawmakers have stacked the tax-law deck against you.


Four basic rules to know about gambling:



Win or lose, you need tax records.


Legal or illegal, you need tax records.


Gaming establishments must report certain winnings of $600 or more on a Form W-2G to both you and the IRS.


You must report your gambling income and losses in your tax returns.


The big picture works like this: If your winnings exceed your losses, you pay taxes on your winnings. If your losses exceed your winnings, you get no deductions for your losses. Further, the losses do not carry forward. The losses simply disappear, lost forever.


And things can get worse. If you are a recreational gambler, you report the winnings separately above the line and losses separately below the line as itemized deductions.


If you don’t have the right records to prove your gambling, things can get downright miserable. You could get taxed on your winnings and receive no benefit from your losses.


The bottom line. You need records of your gambling. See the sidebar at the end of this article for how to keep the right records.


This article gives you what you need to know about the tax side of your gambling. You need this information, whether you ... Log in to view full article.

Log in to view full article
Already a subscriber?
Email Address


Log In Send me my password

You'll be able to read the full article and get instant access to the last few issues of the Tax Reduction Letter

Not yet a subscriber?
with a money-back guarantee