Search Help

Enter one of more keywords to search. Use quotes for “exact phrase.” Note that '*' and '?' wildcards are supported.

When your search results appear, you can refine your search further: Sort for only results in which all search terms appear AND/OR sort by chronological order.

Article Date:
March 2010

Word Count:



Audit-Proof Your Time Spent on Rental Properties

If you claim status as a real estate professional to qualify for deducting your rental property losses, your time record for the year must prove that you spent



more than one-half of your personal service time in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participate, and


more than 750 hours of your personal and investor services time in real property trades or businesses in which you materially participate.


If married, either you or your spouse must pass the time tests above individually to qualify as a real estate professional. If one spouse qualifies, both spouses qualify.


Real estate professional status is great, but there is one additional hurdle. To deduct tax losses on a rental, you must prove that ... Log in to view full article.

Already a subscriber?
Email Address

You’ll be able to read the full article and get instant access to the last few issues of the Tax Reduction Letter
Not yet a subscriber?
with a money-back guarantee

Powered by Cranium Softworks - CMS, Subscription Mgmt & Web Development