Search Help

Enter one of more keywords to search. Use quotes for “exact phrase.” Note that '*' and '?' wildcards are supported.

When your search results appear, you can refine your search further: Sort for only results in which all search terms appear AND/OR sort by chronological order.

Article Date:
November 2009

Word Count:



How Children Employed by Parents Can Use IRAs to Pay for College

If you hire your sons and/or daughters to work in your business, where can they invest their earnings to get maximum financial benefits for college?


The answer is either a Roth or a traditional IRA, depending on the earnings of the child.


IRAs are a college-funding treasure for the working child, for six reasons:



The child may withdraw Roth or traditional IRA funds without penalty to pay qualified higher education expenses such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, and room and board.1


The IRA might be ignored in measuring parent and student resources for purposes of college financial aid.


Monies in the IRA grow tax deferred.


The IRA might eliminate some or all of the child’s existing investment income from the kiddie tax (child’s earnings taxed at the parents’ rates).


The IRA is a benefit even when the child’s earned income produces no income tax. The child puts ... Log in to view full article.

Log in to view full article
Already a subscriber?
Email Address


Log In Send me my password

You'll be able to read the full article and get instant access to the last few issues of the Tax Reduction Letter

Not yet a subscriber?
with a money-back guarantee